Dear Class of 2018

Dear Class of 2018,

As the Class of 2017 finishes our four year journey, we look to you, class of 2018, to take leadership of AHS. After a short 3 month summer, you’re about to start your last year of high school, as a senior. You may think this is just another year in high school, but it’s much more than that. It’s an emotional change that none of you have felt before. You’re getting prepared to start the last year of normalcy before everyone you’ve grown up with goes their separate ways.

Whether your classes are looking to be the hardest yet, or you’re ready for the easiest academic year possible, know that it is okay to take a break from it all. Senior year may be one of the most emotional and stressful years regardless of what classes you’re in, and sometimes you just need to take a personal day off. We hope it’s the best year yet, and we offer some advice to help it be that way.

“Participate in as many clubs and activities as possible” said Maddy Burkett (‘17).

Whether it’s an away football game or a knowledge bowl competition, GO to these events. See what happens, meet new people there, sit in the student section. Once you graduate, you won’t get these opportunities. Support your peers! Clubs are a great way to meet new people and make even more memories.

Don’t be afraid to make new friends as a senior, it’s never too late to make new friends.

You never know who you’ll meet in your new set of classes, and don’t let the sight of the end stop you from making new friends and creating new memories along the way.

Don’t take your teachers for granted. They do a lot for students to help them succeed.

Students work hard, of course. But your teachers do a lot of work behind the scenes to make sure you are educated and ready to take on college and life in general.

Start prepping for college as soon as possible.

If you plan on attending a college after graduating, start thinking early. It’s important to make sure you are putting your best foot forward. Retake your SATs, raise your GPA your senior year, write and edit your college essay early. These are just a few steps to make sure you get into the college of your dreams. You don’t want to miss out because you didn’t use all of your potential!

Get your senior binder done as soon as possible” suggests Parker Lajoie (‘17).

The senior binder is due (of course) right as the dreaded senioritis kicks in. And as most would say, don’t wait until midnight of the day it’s due to start getting all of your paperwork together. The earlier, the better!

Don’t wait until there’s two days left in the year to start your future packet” said Amanda Murphy (‘17).

If you plan on taking Brown’s Elements of Literature class next year, be prepared to start your future packet early suggest Murphy. Like the senior binder, the sooner you begin

And remember, this is your year. This is your last chance to make a mark on Arlington High School. How do you want to be remembered? Make it a great year, Class of 2018.

Sincerely,

The Class of 2017