The student news site of Arlington High School

The AHS Eagle

The AHS Eagle

The AHS Eagle

Eagle News Media Program Moving Forward

Arlington+senior+and+editor%2C+Mia+Guertin%2C+waits+nervously+for+the+announcement+of+the+Washington+Journalist+of+the+Year.++Guertin+has+been+part+of+the+journalism+program+for+four+years+and+has+been+an+editor+for+two+of+those.+
A. Hayman
Arlington senior and editor, Mia Guertin, waits nervously for the announcement of the Washington Journalist of the Year. Guertin has been part of the journalism program for four years and has been an editor for two of those.

Washington Journalism Education State conference was held on March 9 at Arlington High School. Sessions were held to learn more about reporting, telling the story, and broadcast. In attendance there were 26 schools from all over Washington that attended and over 200 participants.  

Chloe Falk (‘25) participated in a write-off contest for feature yearbook writing. Early on in the day there was a panel discussion about AI and how it is used in media and journalism today. Falk had to go into a separate room after that and write for a certain amount of time on a feature with AI in journalism. 

There were other contests where student journalists in the Eagle News Media participated in digital contests that had early submission of work. 

Kailey Bisson( ‘25) and Mia Guertin (‘24) submitted photos for yearbook photography and newspaper photography. They both received honorable mentions. 

The sports week in review videos started by Parker Kinney (‘24) and Jorge Cardona (‘24) received the highest ranking for their broadcast work. Their video was critiqued and was given a superior rating. 

At the end of the ceremony, Anne Hayman, advisor for Eagle News Media was honored as Washington State Advisor of the Year.  

There is more to come for the Eagle News Media program. The National Journalism Convention will be held in Seattle April 24 through April 26, 2025.