Keep Soaring Juniors

Hailey+Brossard+shows+the+materials+students+will+be+using+during+the+PSAT+Test.+

Hailey Brossard shows the materials students will be using during the PSAT Test.

It’s that time of year! Juniors start getting ready for their after high school plans. Many things have been drastically changed during these times, but the PSAT is still going on.

The PSAT is a standardized test administered by the College Board and allows students to qualify for the National Merit Scholarship. Colleges do not look at the PSAT scores, although many take this test as practice for the SAT. 

Students will be tested in three sections. First section being the reading section, followed by the writing and language section, and then the final section being mathematics. Ideally, each student will receive a score ranging from 8 to 38 on each of the three tests, as well as a score ranging from 160 to 760 for Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and for Math. Your overall PSAT score will range from 320 to 1520 and is calculated by adding your two area scores together. This is not an easy test to take and it is very time consuming. The common duration of the test is approximately two and half hours. 

Eagles are trying to score anywhere between 1150 or 1160. However, an OK score is one higher than 1010, and an excellent score is anything higher than 1290. 

For 11th graders who decide they do not want to register for the PSAT (or 10th graders who would like some at-home practice now), there is free SAT exam test prep available on the College Board website, including 8 full length online practice tests:

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/practice/full-length-practice-tests.

Wish our Eagles luck this week as tests are underway!