Eagles Soar To Third Straight Victory

Flying High

The Arlington Eagles(4-3) came out strong and won a gritty game in an inter conference matchup against the Meadowdale Mavericks(2-3) 52-36. This was the Eagles third consecutive victory and propels them into third in Wesco behind an undefeated league record of 3-0.

They still trail Archbishop Murphy(5-1) and Edmonds-Woodway(5-1) who Arlington take on back-to-back January 10th&11th for a chance to prove their worth as one of the most dominant teams in the 3A division. However, if this recent stretch of games is any indication of how this team will continue to come together in the future, I would not be surprised to see the Arlington Eagles as your new Wesco leaders very soon.

Grind And Glide

The Eagles began the game off in a flurry as their high intensity pressure that stifled a high powered Mavs team. Buckets by junior captain Sierra Scheppele and standout sophomore Hailey Hiatt pushed the Eagles out to an early lead that they would never relinquish.

In a high octane but low scoring first half, Arlington’s savvy play had been rewarded with a 23-18 lead that they carried into the break with a rising confidence and heads held high. After a rousing performance from the Arlington Cheer Squad (directed by Brooke Adcock) at the half, an energizing anticipation was felt throughout the student section as they cheered their Eagles back onto the home court.

The Eagles didn’t let up the intensity for a minute in the third quarter as once again, Hailey Hiatt and sophomore point guard Josie Stupey put on a passing and scoring clinic against an exhausted opposition. However, Meadowdale’s star center, Fatoumata Jaiteh(sophomore) and sharp-shooter Lilly Williams(junior), kept the Mavs in fighting distance entering the fourth.

But, they were no match for the well-conditioned Arlington closers that put the clamps on a resilient Mavericks team. The Eagles turned scrappy defense into graceful offense with sophomore Ella Strittmatter and junior Georgia Arnold taking turns locking up the Meadowdale posts leaving the suffocating backcourt to turn steal after steal into points. This was all epitomized by one of the most perfectly executed backcourt presses that turned a Scheppele steal into a Stupey and-1 layup that pushed the game out of reach. The two teams traded garbage time buckets, but the Eagles were eventually able to dribble out the clock on a 52-36 win.

The Sky High Future

The Eagles abundance of youth on the roster is one of the most curious things to watch as the basketball season continues. Highly favored at the beginning of the year to be one of the top teams in the state, this youthfulness was put on display after beginning the season with a disappointing 1-3 record.

But, all these struggles have been put in the rearview mirror as you are now looking at one of the most capable and deep rosters ever to take the hardwood at Arlington High School. Under the guidance of the mastermind coach, Joe Marsh, the players have meshed together and have become to buy into this team. Forming a noticeable chemistry and sisterhood among the athletes. I believe this was fully encapsulated by their victory over the then undefeated Shorecrest Scots last Friday 59-46.

Tonight I watched a team come together on the defensive end in aN almost perfect harmony. It’s crazy to believe that 3/5 of this team is built up of sophomores or younger, but one thing’s for certain. When picturing how this Arlington team will play in the future, ones expectations can be nothing short of sky high.

Upcoming Games

Arlington Eagles: @ Mountlake Terrace (2-3,0-1) 7:15 PM, Friday December 21
Meadowdale Mavericks: vs Marysville Getchell (4-2,0-2) 7:15 PM, Friday December 21