Pre-Season Wrestling

On December 1, boys and girls wrestling kicked off their season with a bang! It seems that many of the freshman and sophomore boys are still getting the hang of making weight for their high school matches, but coach Gilbertson has dealt with the minor setback. Freshman Cole Phillips, new to the team and wrestling, had to make the hard decision to cut his hair so he would make weight, along with two other sophomores. On the other hand seniors Sam Rush, Daniel Heiss, Christian Fairbanks, and Levi Wiseman have started their seasons off on a good note at their meet at Edmonds.

Daniel Heiss has been putting in a lot of time outside of the season doing summer practices and Vandit, in hopes to place top 5 at state this year. Last year Daniel broke his thumb, which took him out from the season and his shot at state. Instead of dwelling on it, he’s looking to redeem himself and says that “…it’s motivated me to work even harder and I hope that I don’t break it again.”. Fellow senior Sam Rush has been wrestling since he was a kid, and like Daniel, is also looking to redeem himself after falling short of placing at last year’s state championship.

Boys aren’t the only ones to look out for, though. This year, the girls wrestling team has their eye on the prize with state only a couple months away. After bringing three girls to state last year, Coach Smoots is working his team hard in hopes of bringing more.

This season, look out for junior Tailer Cochran. “She has the eye of the tiger as well as a new intensity in her,” said head Coach Smoots. Cochran was a state competitor last year, and hopes to go back this year. She has been working hard with partner Kate Rosson (10) who helps her practice new moves, like the crotch lift and the knee pick. Senior and captain Leah White, undefeated this season, has been working hard for the past four years and is “…ready to cap off her senior year with great things,” says Smoots.