History In The Making

Varsity+wrestlers+sit+on+the+sidelines+prior+to+a+wrestling+meet+at+Arlington+High+School+on+January+29.+

Carl Kulper

Varsity wrestlers sit on the sidelines prior to a wrestling meet at Arlington High School on January 29.

In 1968, the Arlington High School wrestling program was created. Back then, the Arlington High School wrestling program was fresh and ambitious. No one could have possibly known of what was to become of AHS wrestling and what it was going to transform into. What began as hopeful wishes in 1968 has shape-shifted into an existing success today.

Just recently, Arlington won it’s first district wrestling championship–but that was just the beginning for AHS wrestlers. On Saturday at Marysville-Pilchuck High School, Arlington claimed the 3A Region I title.

At Marysville-Pilchuck, the Eagles finished in first place with 180 points. Edmonds-Woodway lingered behind the Eagles at second place with 133 points–a gap of almost 50 points. Third place went to Ferndale with 122.5 points.

The Eagles are serious winners for this amazing feat. Both of these back-to-back victories are a first in school history. Therefore, Arlington had several players qualify for this weekend’s 2015 Mat Classic Wrestling Championship at the Tacoma Dome. In an act of strengthening encouragement, AHS students crowded the lunch room commons to give a cheerful goodbye to the victorious Eagle wrestlers as they left for the Tacoma Dome.