Taco about a Lunch

Students+file+in+to+get+the+Tuesday+Taco+meal.+

Eric Acero

Students file in to get the Tuesday Taco meal.

The school day can be overwhelming for some students with exams, class discussions and big projects. As a student myself, I think that I can speak for the masses when I say that lunch time is the moment we look forward to most when stuck in the back of a classroom taking notes.

Besides the social aspect, lunch is a big hit here at AHS because of the variety of foods that are provided. From your daily hot lunch, salad bar, pizza and assortment of other snacks at the kiosks, the ample amount of food options allow the students to vary their daily choice without getting bored of having the same thing every day. Taking note myself and also asking around, there are a few items that prove to be quite a hit on the daily. For example, the PB&Js, that are provided as a breakfast option too, are usually sold out at the kiosks by the end of third lunch.

Stacey Graafstra, one of the lunch ladies said “I make about 60 sandwiches a day usually, and I sometimes run out before third lunch, depends on the week day.”

In addition to that, the taquitos, if failure to show up quick to the cafeteria, are gone about 10 minutes into every lunch period. The serving includes two tortilla wrapped cheese, chicken, and bean tacos with melted cheese on top.

However, as much as the lunch population may like those two choices, they are topped by the long serpentine lines that await the notorious Friday Nachos. With your choice of beans, ground beef and cheese on top, the AHS Nachos have an exquisite flavor that have you licking every bit of cheese left on your plate. Wilma Potter, who is one of the lunch servers in charge of the Nachos mentioned that she goes through about 32 large chip bags on Nacho Friday.

Connor Fochesato, a frequent Nacho consumer said “I like the cheese and meat. The beans are just a healthy bonus.”

Although our school is regulated to have very healthy foods because of Michelle Obama’s organization, the food variety that is provided here at AHS still proves to be satisfactory for the student body.