The student news site of Arlington High School

The AHS Eagle

The AHS Eagle

The AHS Eagle

Resolving to Improve

A survey was sent out to people asking what New Year’s resolution people have, and the most common answer given is “To get better grades.” 

Benjamin Baker (‘27) an example of this, gives his reason for choosing better grades as his resolution. “If I have good grades in high school then I have a better chance of getting into a better college or university”

When people make resolutions it seems that they choose ones that prepare them for the future as much as possible.

“I’m hoping to keep it till senior year” says Jennifer Ellis (‘27) who talks about how she’ll try to keep the resolution of getting good grades over the years. She hopes for it to last her entire high school years.

And while having good grades is a very popular resolution, there is more than all that. In fact, not all New Year’s resolutions are simply for people’s own benefits. Some of them are done for the benefit of others rather than just for themselves.

“I feel like people can just be so rude, and having a smile on your face can make someone’s day so much better” says Audrey Marsh (‘26) who had the resolution ‘to be friendly to everyone no matter what and to be kind’. 

Marsh talks about how she hopes for her resolution to last through the year as she says “I feel like it’s a pretty easy thing to do and it takes a small amount of effort and greatly affects people”