Young Shooter Opens Fire at Marysville Pilchuck High School: Two Dead, Four Injured.

Students+are+evacuated+from+Marysville-Pilchuck+High+School+by+law+enforcement+officers+following+a+shooting+at+the+school+on+Friday+morning.+

Ian Terry The Herald

Students are evacuated from Marysville-Pilchuck High School by law enforcement officers following a shooting at the school on Friday morning.

Marysville – This Friday morning, at 10:39 am, a lone shooter opened fire upon students in the cafeteria at Marysville Pilchuck High school with a 40 caliber handgun; according to Commander Robert Lamoureux with Marysville police department the shooter has been confirmed dead. One additional victim has been confirmed dead says correspondents within Kiro7.

Currently, five students have been injured by the gunman and are being rushed to local hospitals to receive treatment for their injuries. According to a spokesperson at Providence Regional Medical Center, four patients have already arrived at the hospital, three of which are in critical condition. Two of those three, both girls, are undergoing immediate surgery, while the other is in ICU. Another patient with less severe injuries has been transported to Harborview hospital to receive immediate treatment.

The genders of the victims have been confirmed: two male, two female. One of the boys has been transported to Harborview to treat his more minor wounds.

According to a story on the King5 website, Austin Taylor, a student at MP said he was near the shooter as the event unfolded. “I was sitting at the table right next to the round table (where the shooter was). I just got done eating my food. He was quiet, everyone was talking. All of sudden he stands up, pulls something out of his pocket. At first I thought it was someone making a really loud noise like a bag, a loud pop. There were four more after that. I saw three kids just fall from the table, like they were falling to the ground dead. I jumped under the table as fast as I could. When it stopped, I got back up and saw he was trying to reload his gun. And when that happened, I just ran in the opposite direction and I was out of there as fast as I could.”​ (Credit King5 news).

The student, a freshman at the school, opened fire at 10:39am on his fellow students as they gathered for lunch. Shortly after, the fire alarm was pulled and students began to evacuate onto the school’s field. According to police reports by Commander Lamoureux, the shooter took his life soon after the shooting occurred.

At this point in time, there is no news as to the motives behind the gunman’s actions, and no update as to the status of the victims as they receive treatment.

Chief medical officer Joanne Roberts reported that the hospital had entered full trauma code, with trauma teams standing at the ready to receive the incoming patients (which have by now begun to receive treatment at Providence). Four trauma teams, staffed by twenty-five medical personnel, were mobilized, and included two neurosurgeons, a vascular and chest surgeon, and heart surgeons. Roberts and her team are working to establish the student’s identities and provide support for the families of those affected by this tragedy.

Providence, which is equipped with a level two trauma center, is readily prepared to deal with the various injuries – three gunshot wounds to the head, and one to the jaw, though all received head wounds.

With the chaos of today’s events leaving many families in disarray as to which students have been injured, Roberts urges families who are concerned whether or not their child has been injured to seek out personnel at Providence.

Marysville students are in the process of being evacuated to a local church in order to be accounted for. From there, they will be transported home by bus.

Police continue to sweep the campus, but believe that there is not another shooter present.

All classes and sports across the district have been cancelled for the remainder of today.

The shooter, now confirmed as Freshman Jaylen Fryberg, was described as a “happy-go-lucky” young man who was an avid hunter, and a member of the Tulalip tribe. His actions today shocked his tribe, as he was viewed as responsible – to the point where he was being considered as a future tribal leader.  As of now, the motives behind his deeds still remain unclear and many questions remain unanswered with details unclear.

The thoughts and sentiments of the Arlington community are with those families and those affected by the events that have unfolded today.

Here at Arlington High School the victims are in students' thoughts.  Tomahawk Strong.
Hailey Tokarsyck
Here at Arlington High School the victims are in students’ thoughts.
Tomahawk Strong.