Eagles vs. Eagles: Who Came Out On Top?

Mollie Janousek, staff writer & photographer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

The Arlington High School football team battled the Graham-Kapowsin Eagles last night. Both teams fought hard, but Graham-Kapowsin High School ended up winning the game 35-21. Fortunately for Arlington, this was an out of conference game, so it doesn’t count towards their Wesco 3A record. Overall, the Arlington Eagles’ record is 3-2 and their Wesco league record is 1-1.

The Graham-Kapowsin Eagles started the game off strong. Twenty seconds into the game, they ran the ball in for a touchdown, although the touchdown was taken back due to a penalty. Arlington hit hard right back at them when Campbell Hudson (’18) caught an interception in the opponent’s end zone. Continuing this streak, Anthony Whitis (’17), Arlington’s quarterback, made a long throw to Hudson, who caught it at the 11 yard line. Soon after, the Arlington Eagles found Dylan Simmons in the end zone for a touchdown. Michael Tsoukalas (’21), the team’s kicker, added the extra point, making the score 7-0 Arlington at the end of the first quarter.

Arlington kept going strong at the start of the second quarter. Only six seconds into the quarter, Gabe Green (’18) caught the ball at kickoff and ran the ball all the way in for a touchdown. The extra point was good, and the Arlington Eagles’ lead stretched to 14-0. But Graham-Kapowsin threw a hard punch back at Arlington soon after. They ran the ball in for a touchdown and got the extra point, so the score was 14-7. With a short stretch of no scoring, the Graham-Kapowsin Eagles yet again scored another touchdown and extra point, which tied up the score 14-14. Arlington fought back when Payton Bastien (’18) made a huge block for Whitis, who found Green open for the first down. The Arlington Eagles were given a 5 yard penalty, so the first down was called off. Graham-Kapowsin used this to their advantage after Arlington punted, scoring another touchdown and extra point. The score was then 21-14. At the end of the second quarter, Arlington clawed back when Cooper Cummings (’18) ran a 35 yard punt return. Though the score stayed 21-14, Graham-Kapowsin still in the lead.

No one scored in the third quarter, so the score stayed 21-14, Graham-Kapowsin with the lead.

At the start of the fourth quarter, Graham-Kapowsin was relentless and made another touchdown, making the score 28-14. Soon after, the Graham-Kapowsin Eagles intercepted a pass from Arlington, making it their ball. They scored their last touchdown of the game after this. The score then being 35-14. In an effort to come back, Hudson had yet another touchdown for Arlington with 2:53 left in the game. Tsoukalas made the extra point and the score was 35-21. The Arlington Eagles couldn’t come back, so the final was 35-21, Graham-Kapowsin. Despite the loss, Arlington aims to redeem itself next Friday, Oct. 6, at the homecoming game against Marysville Pilchuck.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
About the Writer
Mollie Janousek, staff reporter & photographer

Mollie Janousek is a junior at Arlington High School. She is a member of National Honor Society and French Club at AHS. Mollie is also a part of the varsity...

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.