Senior Year Blues

Katie Smith

The senior section at the pep assembly on September 8.

Senior year, most people look forward to it and most people dread it. It’s the year that you finalize everything in order to graduate.

Everyone can and is affected by this, whether or not you have a sibling who has graduated or is going to graduate, or even if you’re the graduate. Mostly everyone at Arlington High School has get some sort of senior sadness.

Sophomore Paige Nelson’s (‘20) older brother graduated in 2016 from Arlington High School. She says, “It gets really quiet and lonely at home now that he’s off at college, we use to do a lot of fun stuff together like football picks and Christmas tree looking with the family. Now, not so much.”

Nelson was left with a few tips from her brother about high school. “He told me to have fun, don’t stress, and that he’s only a text away if I need help with my math.” Her older brother Ryley is off at Boise State and majors in Business Economics.

Senior Kaycee Kaska (‘18) plans on a career path with law enforcement because she tests high in protective instincts. “I’m not quite ready to go out on my own, I plan to be going to EVCC for two years and then I might transfer to the University of Washington as a four year college,” said Kaska.

Senior and freshman teacher Heidi Chappel wants students and seniors to know that they impact the teachers in a lot of different ways. “I’ve noticed that seniors are more willing to try stuff and take risks. I learn so much from them every year and they help me to become a better writer,” said Chappel.

Chappel hopes that the class of 2018 will be able to make it through the year without dealing with senioritis. “During senior year, avoid thinking is not important. Avoid senioritis; when you feel it deal with it immediately. Senioritis is giving up, don’t give up. Just make the most of your last year because if it wasn’t important you’d graduate as a junior,” said Chappel.

Delaney Barson