Scholarly Paper: Closer Than You’d Think

Every year, Juniors at Arlington High School all have to write the scholarly paper. This is the first year it is not a graduation requirement, but Junior english classes are still requiring it as a part of the class. Students always struggle with getting this done, and staying on schedule. Many students, each year, don’t put in the work beforehand like putting all your sources on flashcards or completing enough drafts. A tip from one of the English 11 teachers, Mr. Ballew, is to “not think of it as an assignment, but to think of it as a commitment”. He said this piece of advice clicks with most students, and they don’t face as many challenges once they realize this. A piece of advice from Senior and former AP Lang student, Christina Domanowski, is to just “follow the simple layout given to you by your teacher” and you’ll pass the first try. She felt that most of her fellow classmates didn’t pass the first try because they tried to be too creative, and thought they could pass without following the layout. However, teachers give you this layout because it’s what they’re looking for when they’re grading them.

It is nearing November 8, the first scholarly paper submission date. Before submission though, there are other deadlines that juniors need to worry about. Here’s the schedule and what’s happening up to the first submission: 

10/18 — 3rd argument drafted

10/20 — Opposing viewpoints drafted/typed

10/25 — Intro and Conclusion drafted

10/26 — Completed Draft #1 (w/ Works Cited)

10/27 — Draftback activity due

11/4 — Revisions based on Draftback

11/8 — SP ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION