Work Hard, Play Harder

Ms.Stringham

Hayden Smith (’18) and Ms.Freeman work together on their American Flag Fundraiser.

Arlington- The Life Skills Department at Arlington High School provides an education for students with special needs. The class, which is made up of around 15 kids or so provides an individual education plan for students to meet their v

Last year I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to be a peer tutor in Ms. Stringham’s class. As a peer tutor I was able to help students with their money counting abilities, projects, and I even was able to learn a bit of sign language. The experience for me was something that was very special and despite my experience with AP classes; I can say that the Life Skills class was the most beneficial experience for my high school experience.

I’m not a peer tutor in the life skills class this year but there’s still big things going on for the teachers and students. Recently I spoke with Ms. Stringham to talk about their various projects and upcoming events.

The Life Skills class is always working on something. Whether it be a craft project or a fundraiser, students are always engaged and creating a project that showcases their unique personalities. One such fundraiser project is where students make table coasters. Students must choose designs, cut paper, use Modge Podge to secure the paper onto the desired surface, and then glue a felt bottom to the coaster.

Last year the coaster project raised over three hundred dollars for the classroom. The money goes to weekly bowling outings at Strawberry Lanes and also to Voices of the Village, an interactive music collective that’s made up of musicians of all ages and abilities.

As the students enjoy their outings they also gear up for the winter holiday rush; where they will be selling their finished projects in the commons here at the High School. Lavender bath salts, magnets, wooden flags, and yes, coasters will be for sale.

The money continues to help students go to Strawberry Lanes and supports the financial aspect of other school sponsored outings. I encourage everyone to keep their eyes open for the fundraising booth as the holiday season, is after all, right around the corner.