The Heat of Science

Gage Baker

Seniors Dominique Giordano and Hannah Scarth actively participate in the heat capacity experiment in Mr. Davis’ 5th period class.

Second semester is underway for the science department of Arlington High School. Mr. Davis and his physics classes have finished their testing on density, pressure, and depth concepts. Their introduction to the new temperature and energy based unit has been introduced through a burningly interesting experiment. When questioned about physics experiments, Dominique Giordano ‘15 said “they’re fun, and exciting. It provides more ways to do hands on learning”

Students would begin by boiling water to a crisp until they put various metals into the water. As these heat up, they would carefully remove them and re-insert them into a separate calorimeter. Through intense observation students calculate densities and properties of materials such as Zinc, Copper, Aluminum, Lead, and Tin.

“I think it’s a good way to measure density and heat capacity of different metals” said Hannah Scarth ‘15.

The physics class in the science department is a gateway of learning and fun for the students. It also is a college in the high school course where participating students can earn EVCC credits through passing the class. It has more to offer than meets the eye, and it awaits the school’s next Juniors and Seniors.