A New Kind of Scare on Halloween (Or Why We Should Stay Off Social Media)

Anne Hayman

There was an increased presence of law enforcement at school on Friday, October 31.

In light of the recent shooting tragedy at Marysville-Pilchuck, Arlington High School has stepped up and made extra precautions in ensuring that there is no possible chance for a shooting being repeated at AHS. However, many students were absent today, whether if it was at their own freewill or if their parents held them close at home for a safety precaution. Having said that, we need to address the facts before rumors and gossip plague our minds and how we view the safety at our school.

Every teacher and administrator had a staff meeting at 7:40 this morning in regards to yesterday afternoon’s events and have been encouraged to share all the information they received with students and parents who had any questions. However, they have promised to keep all students in question completely anonymous.

According to a list of facts that was distributed to all members of the Arlington High School staff, a new “Arlington Female” had a recent “Boyfriend” in Lynnwood. Due to the Boy’s jealous tendencies, he was concerned and upset about the fact that this Arlington female had so many male friends. As a result, the Boyfriend sent threatening tweets to Arlington students, who were friends of the Arlington Female. The specific threat to AHS is that the Boyfriend was going to come to Arlington High School with guns.

The Arlington Female responded with equally threatening tweets back to her boyfriend in Lynnwood, including her cousin in the matter. Eventually, there were conversations about the threats which were overhead and shared with students throughout the day. There was further gossiping at lunch until someone finally came forward and alerted the administration. Arlington Police Department and Snohomish County Sheriff’s Department were actively involved in the investigation. As of now, two Arlington Students are currently placed under “emergency expulsion” as the investigation continues.

AHS is in contact with Meadowdale High School administration and MHS has taken the necessary safety precautions as well.

The Boyfriend in Lynnwood does self-identify with a gang, hanging out with the same few teens who have known each other for a long time and wanted to call themselves something.

There was also an incident where graffiti tags were spray painted at the north side of the gym, which does not seem to be gang related or connected to the threats made yesterday in any way as it was simply an allusion reference to Alice in Wonderland by a few completely different teenagers. Law enforcement is currently investigating to see if there is perhaps a link between the two incidents.

As the situation was unfolding, rumors exploded on social media that frightened many AHS students and parents. AHS sent out an automated phone message to all homes as rumors began to spread like wildfire. AHS administration has sincerely said that “literally anything else you hear is a RUMOR”. Though, AHS administration will not be taking any chances–students will notice that there will be an increased adult and police presence at AHS.

Many classrooms and hallways were partially empty today. Junior student Claire Calicdan said, “I’m not going to let fear run my life. That’s why I came to school.” Lots of other students had the same opinion that Calicdan expressed. Junior student J.J. Haldeman had a party first period in Mr. Duskin’s Spanish class, Haldeman “didn’t want to miss it,” he said.

Students shared feeling of disappointment, annoyance and frustration with their peers who seemed to have been spreading exaggerated and false rumors about the situation. “I don’t think people knew the facts when they put stuff on there for everyone to see,” Junior Libbie Davidson said. Too many students were scared reading untruthful posts on Facebook and Twitter and therefore didn’t come to school today.

This wasn’t the best way to end the week for sure, especially on Halloween. Parents shouldn’t be fearful of their children’s safety within their own neighborhood and community; and students shouldn’t have a fear in the back of their minds about the possibility of a shooting at their own school. Arlington School District and law enforcement are making sure that all staff and students are safe today and always will be at Arlington High School.