The student news site of Arlington High School

The AHS Eagle

The AHS Eagle

The AHS Eagle

Celebrating our Cultures with Flair

Diversity Club Sponsored a Cultural Night March 14, 2024
K. Wilson
Singing his heart out to the delight of the audience, Mr. Robert Hanson, passionately sang the song, Sway, accompanied by the AHS Jazz Band.

On March 14, The students of the AHS Diversity Club hosted a Cultural Night at Arlington High School. The Arlington High School jazz band, Aerie and Eagle choir, Mr. Robert Hanson performed with a special guest performance from the Mount Vernon High School Folklorico dance ensemble.

Attendees were greeted at the door with a global treat and souvenir and were excited to attend the event. Simon Dayley, a student at AHS (11’) said, “I came to Cultural Night because I really like learning about and experiencing other cultures and their food and their dance and traditions.”

The night opened with words from the Diversity Club president, Josline Contajioso, who expressed the importance of having an event like Cultural Night and what it means to the students and community of Arlington followed by performances from the Jazz Band, directed by Mr. John Aguilar. Mr. Aguilar spoke to the audience about the different music styles that the band plays and the importance of honoring cultures with music.

The audience was then treated to a performance of the song “Sway” from Mr. Hanson who provided vocals with backup from the AHS Jazz Band. The showstopper performance of the night was the Mount Vernon High School Folklorico dance ensemble that treated guests to a high energy performance in their Jalisco dresses while introducing guests to the Spanish language and folklorico dances.

The colorful swirls of the intermediate students of the Mount Vernon Folklorico Dance Ensemble, wowed the audience at Cultural Night.

Around 30 people came and enjoyed Cultural Night, the Diversity Club is already looking at ways to improve the event for next year.  Mrs. Naomi Gonzalez, Diversity Club former advisor at Arlington High School, thought that more advertising is needed, “sending out one announcement on PeachJar was not enough, (they) should’ve blown up this poster and done it like we do our musicals or sporting events and things like that. Just more exposure.”

Ideally, the Diversity Club wants to see many more different cultures participating making Cultural Night even more spectacular. Dr. Chrys Sweeting, Arlington Public Schools Superintendent said, “I know the tribe would like to be part of it as well, I connect with their education department and I know in the culture department they would love to participate in the future.”

“I just wanted to be part of it and celebrate our beautiful community, diversity that we have and come and celebrate,” said Dr. Sweeting.