What’s Happening in Underclassmen English

Ella Giordano and Brantly Stupey take a vocabulary test on Friday Oct. 3rd 2014 in Hurst’s 5th period English class. They get a list of words to learn weekly on Monday and on each Friday have a test.
Michaela Krogen

The freshmen and sophomores of AHS have been working tirelessly in their various English classes.

Currently in English 9, the students are in the middle of a set of specific assessments that the English departments worked together to create. These tests are targeted to see every student’s individual skill level. In coming weeks, they will soon be jumping into the Whirligig unit. Students seem to be lacking excitement about this book, but the English teachers are working to convince students that it is nothing to fuss about. Also, since the start of the year the students have been working on their weekly vocabulary.

English 10 is in the process of completing their first writing assessment. This essay is based off the novel “Anthem” and the prompt asks whether students think collectivism or individualism is more important in our high school. Last week they started to look at the overall concepts of their next book, “Animal Farm.” This book focuses a lot on political views and opinions of each student. During this unit they do a campaign project that involves the electing of characters in the book as the leader of the farm.

Even though it’s still the beginning of the year, these english classes have wasted no time in getting started with important projects and activities.