Math’s not that hard… How?

Julie Anne Stringer

Mrs. Case teaches her Algebra 1 class on linear functions during 5th period at Arlington High School.

Sophomores and Freshmen are still unfamiliar with the tools that are available to help students get a better understanding on certain subjects. For many students math is a subject that is frustrating to understand. However, students often don’t take the time to go in early or stay after school to get the help that they need. What they don’t realize is that there are resources available 24/7. Mrs. Case says “students now have an online resource at there fingertips.” One of those resources is Moodle. Moodle allows you to take practice tests before the actual exam I order to better understand how the questions will be phrased. Also, if you do porlly on a test, you will be able to take that test multiple times, to get the score that you want. Other resource like Khan Academy and ALEKS are there to teach students more affective way to study. For Khan Academey, students can use its “extensice library of content, including interactive challenges, assessments, and videos” to help better understand a lesson(https://www.khanacademy.org/about). While ALEKS is fairly new, but just as useful. ALEKS is a “Assessment and LEarning in Knowledge Spaces is a Web-based, artificially intelligent assessment and learning system. ALEKS uses adaptive questioning to quickly and accurately determine exactly what a student knows and doesn’t know in a course. ALEKS then instructs the student on the topics she is most ready to learn. As a student works through a course, ALEKS periodically reassesses the student to ensure that topics learned are also retained. ALEKS courses are very complete in their topic coverage and ALEKS avoids multiple-choice questions. A student who shows a high level of mastery of an ALEKS course will be successful in the actual course she is taking. ALEKS also provides the advantages of one-on-one instruction, 24/7, from virtually any Web-based computer for a fraction of the cost of a human tutor”(http://aleks.com/about_aleks). These two websites are very affective in improving your learning skill and capabilities. If you have questions unanserwed feel free to look up Khan Academy and ALEKS to see for yourself how it will change your studying habits for the better.