How to Prepare for Tests

With the new school year finally in full swing, it’s a little hard for students to balance their busy lives and school. Preparing for tests can be taxing. It can feel like there are too many tests to study for, or you’re really struggling on a subject. However, there are some things that can make taking tests a little less painful.

Anxiety

Many students experience test anxiety. Test anxiety is a combination of fear of failure, stress, worry, dread, and over analyzation that occur during test situations. A few ways to cope with your test anxiety are, as said by AHS students, “I pray and I know that I’ll be okay in the end, I suggest that to any experiencing anxiety” said Jack Hamilton (‘19).

“I try to calm myself down by slowing down the racing that goes on in my head. I also try and get comfortable during a test, it helps me maintain focus and lose some of that edge. I also lay in bed at night envisioning myself in my seat taking my test ” said Jaea Davidson (‘20)

Study Habits

Finding a useful study habit can be more difficult than made out to be. Rule number one, put that cell phone down! Twitter and your bestfriend can wait. Try studying without those distractions. Studying 15 minutes for several nights proves more beneficial that cramming for 3 hours the night before a big test. This method helps reinforce the content being learned, allowing you to be better prepared for that 200 point chem test you studied for. But how do you get into that habit and how do you study properly? Many students, like Davidson, enjoy using Quizlet or making flashcards for that studying. Hamilton finds “a comfy environment to study in,” works best.

In Class

Now that you can study at home, how do you prepare for tests in your classroom? Paying attention and listening during class are always good strategies to have in class. This also helps you with your homework and studying, in the long run. Asking the teacher questions on concepts that confuse you help you ace that test. Reading at home about the unit or subject you’re on in class help you apply the work to test situations.

“I like to read ahead in my classes, that way when we go over it in class it’s almost like a review for me. This way it’s not the first time I see what we’re doing and I can better understand what we’re working on in class,” said Kamryn Creameans (‘17).

By adopting a couple simple techniques, prepping for that upcoming exam should be much easier.  So sit down, turn off that phone, and find a preparation strategy that works for you, and ace that test!