The NHS Tutoring Project

Members Plan to Expand on an Already Successful Project

Hannah Chung

NHS members Sevi Bielser (’16) and Mckenna Herring (’16) laugh during the first NHS meeting of the year.

National Honor Society (NHS), is a club that is seldom talked about here at AHS.  They prefer to fly under the radar; all while maintaining good grades and doing massive amounts of volunteer work.  To be a member of NHS, it’s required to have a 3.5 GPA, along with participating in 75 hours of volunteer work per year to maintain a membership in this prestigious organization.  With their first official meeting on falling September 16th, members are looking forward to the new year.

One of the first things that new club president Raiven Yoes (’16) is looking to expand on is a project that she started last school year. Last year, the project–which encompasses weekly tutoring at both Post and Haller middle schools– served as a successful example to be used for the future. NHS tutors were welcomed with open arms by both students and teachers alike at Haller.

One NHS tutor from last year, Rochelle Berg (’16), was extremely impressed with some of the students she worked with.  Not only was there a large turnout, Berg said, but “it was cool how none of the kids acted like they were forced to be there”.

It is simply amazing that NHS students are making an impact in the community by simply helping the younger students in the district.  It’s a beneficial program for everyone, as the younger students gain both knowledge and life skills.  Not only are they receiving help with their schoolwork, but they also gain advice when it comes to study skills; learn how to cope with struggles in school; and garner an older friend to talk to.

The tutoring project should be in full swing again in the coming weeks, and once again, NHS members will be donating their time and energy into improving upon this already close-knit community.