What is National Honor Society?

Sadie Collins

National Honor Society president, Allyson Roller (12), conducts a club meeting. Meetings are held every third Thursday of the month, before and after school.

National Honor Society is one of the biggest clubs at AHS. It is one of the only clubs here that directly gives back to the community through volunteer work. Each semester, students are required to do 15 hours of individual volunteering and 15 hours of group volunteering. 15 hours of service are also required to be completed each summer. Offered to only juniors and seniors, this club selects the top academic and well-rounded individuals at this school. Members are required to have a GPA of 3.5 or above and have to submit a resume and an essay before being considered as a candidate. NHS president, Allyson Roller (12), describes National Honor Society as “described in three words: service above self.”

NHS not only reflects the hard work of students in the classroom, but in the community as well. Club member and NHS parliamentarian, Ivy Ewing (11), says that it’s “a great way for people to really connect to the community through volunteering and taking time out of our busy teenage lives to help others.”

Not only can students connect with other students, but it’s a way for members to connect with the community and say “thanks to what they have done for us and our fellow classmates,” said Ewing.

But to be a dedicated member of the club, Maggie Delaney (11) suggests that time management is the most important thing to keep in mind. Students have to be able to juggle school work, volunteer hours, extracurriculars, and whatever else they may be doing. Ewing says that you have to be strict with yourself to be able to be a good member of the club.

This club is a lot of work for students, but it generates results for both the members themselves and the environment around them. For Delaney, National Honor Society has been the gateway to her preferred career after high school. “It’s kind of helped me realize that… I do want to work with kids when I’m older, so it’s helping me find a career path that interests me,” said Delaney. It’s prevalent that when you join NHS, you don’t only give to the community, but you get stuff back in return.

Volunteer projects for this club have included painting old ladies’ nails, picking up trash around town, creating a fun run, helping tutor students in need, a tree auction, and even more. Although this is an academic club, students volunteer their time in so many more ways than events that are school related. The best part about NHS is that students get to have fun while they give back to the community. “We are volunteering at these events so that others may enjoy them,” said Roller.

If you are looking to join a club that is similar to NHS, which is primarily an academic club, Key Club is the one for you because it has the same message and outlook on the community, but you don’t have to apply to be part of it; anyone can join Key Club. Ultimately, NHS “provide[s] our community and students with a lot of good and memorable experiences that will further our path towards a more respectful culture,” said Ewing.