Arlington Students Forming Investment Club Look to Study the Stock Market

The stock market has long been an area of opportunity in America. Whether you’re a college student with a few dollars to throw around, or a 65-year old man with nothing to spend your money on besides your grandchildren, the chance to make millions on a company is always present, as is the possibility of missing out on the world’s next Apple or Microsoft.  The gamble of the market gives it the enticing feeling that has investors constantly trading after the smallest taste of success. Before an investor is ready to take on the market and attempt to spin a profit, they must study how it operates. While the market and its fluctuations cannot be predicted 100% of the time, mastering the skills needed to analyze the information available to you can help you make decisions that will benefit both your stock portfolio and your wallet.

Here at Arlington, students interested in the world of business and the stock market have taken the initiative to form a club centered around learning the skills necessary to be successful as an investor. Though these students are in high school, their interest levels will be key in their ability to become familiar with such a complex area of our economy.

Edward Radion (‘17) is spearheading the formation of the club, along with supporting members Heinz Ledecky, Kyle Ursino, and Nate Ursino. The club will educate members on more than just stocks. Bonds and commodities are other areas of study Radion looks to focus the group towards.

“Through DECA, I’ve been exposed to the field of finance, and I’ve been really passionate about the career field,” said Radion. “What’s exciting about stocks is that any ordinary individual can own a part of a company and share in its successes and downfalls.”

In terms of the profitable aspect of the market, Radion shares the same thoughts as most young people interested in investing. “The potential for profit made through stocks is captivating,” said Radion.

Nate Ursino (‘18) is one of the supporting members of the club and has an interesting outlook on his future career path. Ursino does not wish to attend college after graduating high school but instead wishes to become extremely well versed in investing and plans to become a day trader. Day trading is the act of being a full time stock trader in order to make a living. Although the risks of the career path are quite heavy, the benefits can substantially outweigh them. It is not uncommon for a day trader to make an abundant amount of money, while also living a life of leisure and working from the comfort of their own home. A club like Arlington’s Investment Club is a great opportunity for a future day trader like Ursino to get a strong grasp on the market.

The stock market pairs strongly with the word potential, and while these students are extremely young in the world of stocks, an early start in the field could put them years ahead of others their age, in a field where young adults are in the minority of participants.