Cunningham’s Top Picks

The Replacements in 1981

US History and Psychology teacher, Mr. Cunningham, has established himself as not only a beloved teacher, but as a knowledgeable music nerd. When he was a sophomore in high school, he refused to conform to the music fads of 80s hair metal bands like Cinderella and Ratt; since then, he has become a musical visionary and has developed his own unique taste in music that he bestows upon his students.

Cunningham calls his favorite band, The Replacements, “seminal artists who are unabashed rock and roll”. The Replacements were an American rock band formed in 1979 out of Minneapolis, Minnesota. They are arguably one of the most underrated and influential bands in rock and roll history. They caused lots of controversy on Saturday Night Live when they played a music set while they were in a drunken haze. The group disbanded in the 90s, but have recently reunited and are now on tour.

But one single individual musician that Cunningham admires as well is David Bowie, who is innovative, artistic, and political. And like The Replacements, Bowie didn’t care what others thought of him. Bowie himself is an 80s music legacy and perfectly represents that decade.

Cunningham, words can not describe how important you are to the students of AHS and to the overall integrity of AHS. And for that, we sincerely thank and appreciate you.