Sports Injuries

Provided by J. Stupey
Jackie Stupey (’19) provides an image of the x-ray she got after her foot surgery.

Sports are a huge part of Arlington High School and many students’ lives. But sometimes sports take a toll on athletes. Sports can be very dangerous and damaging to our healthy bodies. Here are some impacts of injuries acquired through sports on two students’ lives.

Jackie Stupey (‘19) had surgery on her foot two times this past year. While playing basketball, she hurt herself and acquired something that’s called a Lisfranc fracture. This is where the bones in your foot split apart. This has hurt her opportunities to play basketball for many months.

Right now it’s basketball season and Stupey is still unable to do the thing that she loves. “It’s really hard to watch your teammates play the game you love and there’s nothing I can do about it,” said Stupey.

Moreover, Stupey has a younger sister who also plays the sport. The dream was for the two of them to have a chance to play together in high school, but due to Stupey’s injury, they may never get to experience that dream.

Sitting on the sidelines while your friends and teammates play the sport you’ve loved your whole life is one of the hardest things for athletes to face. Stupey has played basketball since third grade. It has always been a large portion of her life. “Basketball has always been there for me. It’s been something I can rely on. But it’s gone for now,” said Stupey.

Another athlete, Christian Waldal (‘18) obtained a severe concussion during one of his football games last year. After resting up and thinking he was 100% healthy, he tried to come back and play this year, but was unable to because of the severity and risk of brain damage if he received another concussion. “My concussion was life-threatening so it was considered very major,” said Waldal.

These injuries are only minor setbacks in both the athletes’ lives. Even though they may not be able to play, they can still enjoy watching their friends and doing other things that they might like to do instead of playing sports. “I go to youth group, play piano and ukulele, travel, and participate in non-contact sports [instead of playing football],” said Waldal.

Despite his injuries, Waldal still went to every football game to support his friends and teammates.

Injuries are very common in athletes. Take it from someone who’s been injured, it’s not worth it to play through the pain. All in all, be safe and conscious of your body’s wellbeing. Getting a minor injury today might not affect you in 20 years. So if you’re hurt, get it checked out as soon as you can to insure your body heals correctly.