Trump This: Election 2016 at A.H.S.

Hey, America! It’s November – it’s 2016 – it’s election season! Get out your ballots and get out there! Although the voting age is technically 18, Arlington High School students, regardless of eligibility, offer up their own opinions on such an impactful political event. This election, so turbulent and unequivocally disputed, draws the juiciest opinions from even the most reserved of students.

Politicians usually inspire the cruelest of insults from the population, but this year, the mudslinging has been unparalleled. The Trump-supporters, though slightly outnumbered, are tremendously outspoken, often appearing overwhelming because of the sheer decibel levels they are able to produce. They are loud not only in speaking terms but also in wardrobe. The Trump shirts were out today, unmistakable for their emboldened slogans, symbolic of the brashness of the candidate they represent.

Junior Sedona Sarabon was one supporter showing her unbridled support of Donald Trump. She told us, “I prefer him way more than Hillary. Hillary is super corrupt. I would rather have a mean president than a corrupt one.” When asked what changes she would like to see in the campaign process, she noted the detracting influence of media as something that needs to be addressed. “Hillary is getting paid and getting supported by corporations. They’re not sharing both sides.”

Meanwhile, the Clinton supporters, admittedly less demonstrative, were still in full swing. Senior Sarah Eads reported that she would much rather see Hillary sworn in than someone so totally opposite the views of an increasingly more progressive United States. She noted policies on L.G.B.T. rights and education as predominant factors in her opposition of Trump. In her own words, “Trump is a disaster. I don’t want a sexist bigot/racist to run the country.”

Many students still remain undecided, claiming that both candidates suck too much air to really be presidents or leaders of a nation. Simon Ellis (’18) is included in this surprisingly (or not-so-surprisingly) well-represented group. He says the ideal president would be both “charismatic and respectful,” not describing either of the current candidates as either. Other students still hold onto their devotion towards Bernie Sanders, recent Democratic nominee and loser to Hillary in the primaries. Says Colin Watts, sporting a brightly-colored Bernie sweater, ““He had solid plans to make college affordable. Health Care would also be more affordable for me in the future when I need it.” Audrey Sumner agrees with Colin Watts, adding that he is a person “who respects others.”

Well, folks, in less than six hours the next United States president will be imminent. Will it be Hillary, or will it be Donald? Only the polls will tell.