On the Right Track for Graduation

The counselors are available to change schedules until Tuesday 9/13.

As the 2016-2017 school year begins, students of all grade levels are getting settled into their new classes, meeting their new teachers, and possibly changing their schedules. With all the new classes, students need to remember what’s really important; Graduation. All students are here to accomplish that goal, and in order to do so, must have enough credits by the end of their senior year.

For the classes of 2017 and 2018, 22.5 credits is the minimum required to graduate, which includes multiple subcategories that must be met, for example, taking 3 full years of English.

But, for the classes of 2019 and on, things get complicated. With the state rolling out new changes and implementing Common Core, these students are required to have 24 credits, also known as Core 24. The average student takes 12 classes a year, each being worth .5 credits. This means students cannot fail a single class if they plan on graduating on time. Arlington’s Administration describes this as a positive change, as it creates well-rounded graduates.

Sophomore Anders Farrell said, “I’m trying to prepare for Core 24 by keeping up to date on assignments and taking zero period for an extra credit to fall on just in case I struggle too much”.

Along with failing classes, students can lose credits by missing too much school. Missing a class over 12 times per semester results in the loss of those credits, regardless if the absence is excused or unexcused. Students will see a “NC” (No Credit) on their report cards if they exceed these limits. But, thankfully, students can get these credits back by submitting a credit retrieval form, which can be found in the counselor’s office and at the front attendance window. If a student lost credit because of failing a class, they can take summer school, online classes, or go through Apex to work to get these credits back.

In order to keep on track, some students get ahead and take zero period, online, Apex, and running start classes in order to ensure they will graduate on time, with a few credits to spare!

Edward Radion (‘17) got ahead in credits and was able to complete 3 years of Spanish incredibly fast online. He said his advice for those affected by Core 24 is “always pay attention. Turn your work in on time. There’s no going back.”