Right Act: An Inside Look at the Drama Department

Looking inside the drama department and what it stands for.

Hannah Marian

Delaney Pickard (’17) and Hannah Glunt (’18) acting like they are driving a car during a drama club meeting.

Drama is acting but it is also an outlet for self-expression and a lot of hard work. For many students here at AHS, the drama department is important to them, and with the upcoming performance of Pippin, the dedication and importance can really be seen.

For the cast of Pippin, rehearsal starts around 2:45 everyday and ends as early as 4:30. They also spend time on the play during non-school days. While school plays put on by the drama department, there are also other outlets for students to express themselves in the theater, including through drama club and drama classes.

Victoria Litton (’19) described drama kids as, “Very high energy. Everyone is a happy person, always looking for a way to make others laugh.”

Drama is one of the few areas at school which centers around student’s own creativity. By having this upbeat atmosphere, it provides a safe place for students to let loose and truly be themselves.

“I can be myself, where I don’t have to worry about anything else in my life,”said Josh Moe (’18).

Other than fostering creativity, drama helps shape the character of students; it allows them to become better versions of themselves.

“[Drama] helped me to become more vulnerable and open to criticism [and] help me support others,” said Raiven Yoes (’16).

But the drama department isn’t limited only to those on the stage. There are students who do make-up, those who help make the sets, the running crew, and so many others.

Mikelle Kelly (’17), this year’s stage manger, is just one example. “I have always been interested in backstage stuff and theater in general,” said Kelly. “I learn good leadership skills and how to work with people I don’t like.”

The roles of those working backstage are equally as important and demanding. And the skills they learn are ones that can be taken with them for the rest of their lives.

Mr. Moberly stated that the drama department “… mostly give[s] my students a place. This [is] their connection to the school and opportunity to give back to the community.”

“We are artists,” he said. “We are creative people coming together to make a great piece of art.”