How to Survive Group Projects

Students+in+Mr.+Moberlys+second+period+class+work+on+a+group+project.+

Kayli Dreger

Students in Mr. Moberly’s second period class work on a group project.

By now, students probably realize that group projects can both a blessing and a curse. The truth is that these group exercises are also exercises in life because you’re going to have to work with people who aren’t always the most…productive.

The true purpose for group projects is practice for high school, college, and real life. Right now, group projects will often allow you to do a bigger, more interesting project then you could do alone. But, there can also come a time when students don’t want to help out with the project. Sophomore Wyatt Bierer said to make sure that, “everyone does their share” in order to combat this.

It’s also worth nothing that with group work, you can actually learn more in less time. Cameron Ferreira (’16) said that “having other people to fall back on is good because if you can’t do something a certain day or you need help with something you can ask those people and they can help who have better knowledge then you do”

Most of the time, when it comes to group projects, everyone in the group project gets the same grad, regardless of the amount of work that you did or didn’t do. However, some teachers have come up with an innovative way to face this problem.

At the beginning of a group project, students will write down their names and what they will be contributing to the project. When it comes time for the project to be presented or turned in, the teacher can then see what roles the students signed up for, how much effort they put into it, and can then grade each student accordingly.

All in all, there are six main rules to follow when it comes to surviving group projects:

1.) Choose group members wisely. Being with your friends can make things fun, but you ultimately want to pick people who are reliable and who you won’t slack off with.

2.) Figure out the best way to communicate.

3.) Set deadlines and times to check in about the status of the project.

4.) When in doubt, step up and take the lead.

5.) Don’t be afraid to ask your teacher or professor for help. If a group member isn’t pulling their weight and you just can’t seem to motivate them, there is no shame in asking for a little help.

6.) Stay positive. As much stress as group projects can be, the more fun you make it, the more you will learn and get more out of them.

“Get work done, do your job, and help others learn,” said sophomore Austin Grays.