How to Walk, And Other Helpful Tips to Get You Through the School Day

Hannah Martian

Students demonstrating the proper way to walk during passing period.

High school–especially for freshmen–can be a scary thing. Starting fresh; making and reuniting with friends; and where to sit at lunch can all be scary, daunting things. Here’s a few tips to make the task of school a bit easier:

1.) Hallways

This may come as a surprise to you, but hallways are for traveling. They exist to get you from one place to another. They are not for:

• Stopping and talking

• Stopping and talking and making everyone walk around you

• Kissing/groping/”manhandling” your significant other

• Walking 3/4/5 wide in

• Anything besides commuting

Therefore, do not engage in any of these activities in the halls of AHS, as they can soon become a hazardous place.

2.) Walking in the Hallways

There are many important rules that you will learn here at AHS. But there is-repeat after me-none more important than walking on the right side of the hallway. But what is the right way?

Walking correctly can be defined as such:

When walking, walk on the right side of the hallway. Walk no more than two (2) students wide. Walk quickly and efficiently. Do not stop suddenly. If you need to turn, look for a gap in traffic. If one is not available, continue walking until you find one, and then double back.

But why are these rules important?

“You wouldn’t drive on the left side of the road,” said senior Sami Balcos. “You’d get run over.”

Senior Sarah Moe also offered her take.

“It makes it efficient, when everyone goes the same way,” said Moe. “It goes with the flow of traffic, so you don’t mess it up.”

3.) Exceptions to Rules #1 and #2

The behaviors outlined in the two previous rules are not restricted to just hallways. Use these rules to guide you through the commons, alcoves, classrooms, and anywhere else you may encounter another living, human being.

4.) Stairs

Similarly to hallways, the stairs are a bustling place of activity. Make sure to always use proper walking etiquette (as laid out in rules #1 and #2). In addition, make sure to leave room for students going up the stairs, particularly after school. Students have to talk with teachers, retrieve items, or make it to Knowledge Bowl practice on time.

5.) The Parking Lot

For many juniors and seniors, the parking lot is the most dreaded part of the day. To avoid confusion and anger, follow these simple steps:

• Swiftly make your way down to the lot

• Don’t use foul/vulgar language

• Don’t cut in front of other people

• Let one (1) person out per row

• Make eye contact if you plan on letting someone out

“We already drive on the right side of the road, and it is the previously agreed upon standard,” said junior Lily Janda.

Now, all the tips in the world won’t help you unless you abide by this last one: Be yourself. In high school, you’ll learn a lot about who you are and the people that you want beside you. You’ll find people who help, people who hurt, and people who hinder.

But here’s the very last tip for surviving high school, and listen close: Be yourself.

Unless the real you walks down the wrong side of the hallway.