AHS Band: Ambassadors of music education

Chris Serica ’15 accompanies the Wind Ensemble on the drum set, playing a medley of famous Disney songs.

Jacob Thompson

Typically speaking, the AHS Wind Ensemble and On Hold Jazz Band would journey to various locations like Anaheim, California, and Reno, Nevada, as well as, local areas such as Edmonds for the annual Edmonds Jazz Connection.

As part of their music tour this year, the AHS Wind Ensemble and On Hold Jazz Band visited Totem Middle School. Surprisingly though, the AHS Band ventured out to the Darrington community to play at their local high school. Darrington would seem like an unusual destination to travel to for the sole purpose of playing music from old heralds like Count Basie and Percy Grainger. Any other day, this would seem like a misplaced step in the AHS Band’s travels-it is anything but, however. The truth is that a music program has been diminishing for quite some time in the Darrington community.

“Our K-12 music program, vocal and instrumental, has been greatly reduced due to a significant decline in enrollment which in turn impacted staffing,” Superintendent Dave Holmer of Darrington School District said. “Our district responded to this challenge by maintaining a very limited band program during ‘0’ hour.”

Last Friday morning, the AHS Band had finished performing at Totem Middle School. After a brief stop at Safeway for food and drinks, the AHS Band began to travel through Arlington towards Darrington, passing a hilly landscape that was abounding with farmland; at one point, the dull roar of excited music students significantly dwindled as the bus passed the Oso Mudslide memorial.

The reason why the AHS Band is visiting Darrington is because they are “acting as ambassadors for music,” Director John Grabowski said. The AHS Band had high hopes to perform exceedingly well in order to advocate the importance and appreciation of music in school. If their performance were to be convincing, the AHS Band may be a good stepping stone to reinvigorate a music program for Darrington in years.

In Darrington High School’s gymnasium, both Wind Ensemble and On Hold performed twice; the first performance in front of high school teenagers, followed by K-8 students.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, music programs are constantly in danger of being cut from shrinking school budgets, despite the fact that music programs have improved academics.

“Seasonal concerts were sponsored by individual teachers for several years. We also have had community volunteers work with a small group of students,” Holmer said.

After the first performance, the gymnasium was emptied and refilled again with elementary and middle school students, who seemed to be more interested in the music. There was a rumpus from the young kindergarteners, who were restless the entire time, especially when the Wind Ensemble performed a collection of famous Disney songs.

Afterwards, a visual demonstration of each instrument was given. A student from each instrument section performed a short solo, which even left younger members of the crowd in awe.

Without question, music touches all domains of education; it is mathematically advanced, and there is interesting scientific research that proves how the human mind is elevated when surrounded by music. Today, music students and teachers have to go above and beyond to seek public endorsement for music, sparking music advocacy.

“This year music, mostly vocal, has been offered in the elementary school,” Holmer said. “This is the beginning of the effort to bring back music.  I know that our community and students would welcome more music in our district.”