The student news site of Arlington High School

The AHS Eagle

The AHS Eagle

The AHS Eagle

Showing Future Freshmen What is Available

The end of the school year is nearing and people are choosing their next classes. We must remember what’s out with the old is in with the new. The future freshman night is on February 21 as the freshmen are soon to be introduced to the school.

The activities will include Ms Herman giving the parents a speech in the BPAC while the freshmen are playing games in the gym. After the games, the freshmen will go into the commons and be introduced to over 35 different clubs; the DECA store will be open and there will also be a bake sale.

“Anyone who is there to represent a club works with their club adviser to attend that night. Typically what I do is, I send an email to all staff to let them know future freshman night is coming up, and to let me know if they would like to be a part of that night to represent their club and program, and typically if the adviser themself is not able to be there, they will talk to their club members to see if anyone is able to be there” said counselor in charge of the night, Ms Hanshaw. 

For recruiting future club members, “the information flyers are really helpful, seeing, showing some representation about what you guys do, whether that is through a slideshow pictures you guys do, actual projects that were completed, maybe doing a small demonstration of stuff, getting them to kind of know, a touch and see…list out the different stuff you do throughout the year, so that they have an idea of how it is, I think visuals are a huge part of it, parents really like the flyers, they will pick those up and take those home, kids, not so much. but they like to see the visual part about what it is that everything looks like” said Ms Hanshaw.

The difference in between what parents like and what students like are different in many ways; however, most of our marketing should be going towards the incoming freshman.

“Be inviting, be colorful, and be eye-catching, because we are trying to interest freshman in what we do, which means we want to be entertaining, we want to be interesting,” said Mr Hanson, the drama teacher and adviser of the drama club. 

This belief of standing out visually is shared among different people as freshmen from last year’s future freshman night seem to agree.  “The one I stayed the most away from was ones I didn’t notice where there” said Vincent Knapp (‘27)  about the tables he didn’t visit.