The student news site of Arlington High School

The AHS Eagle

The AHS Eagle

The AHS Eagle

Community In High School Drama Productions

Kennedy O’Day
The cast for Treasure Island, the fall play.

Arlington High School has a significant drama presence. They’ve put on multiple productions, plays, and musicals in the past, like A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Shrek. With joining the  drama club, you not only get the opportunity to express yourself in acting, but you also get to join a lifelong community.

When interviewing students who have been in these past productions, or those who have tried out, they always bring up the sense of community and the bonds they create with people. Having a good group of people to surround yourself with is what makes you perform the best.

Bayleigh Ivester, eleventh grade, said “A lot of it is the community, and not having a good community doesn’t make it fun, and luckily we have a good community.”

Many people agree with this sense of community that comes with being in the creation of a play or musical. Kennedy O’Day, a junior who recently joined Drama Club, also talked about the sense of faction and trust she felt amongst everyone.  O’Day said, “I just thought that it was really fun. I had a class last year and I enjoyed the environment and how welcoming everyone is, and… I like putting myself out there and doing as much as I can.”

Drama can be frightening, especially if you’re more introverted. However, speaking with those who have been in drama, or just recently joined, they all feel that sense of community and know how beneficial it is. There are so many plays and musicals that you could be part of, you simply have to overcome your anxiety-stricken hardships. 

O’Day said “… these people don’t want to see you fail, they want to be entertained.”