Roe v Wade

On January 22, 1973, the supreme court favored “Jane Roe” in the Roe v. Wade case. Roe v. Wade was a landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court ruled that the Constitution of the United States protects a pregnant woman’s liberty to choose to have an abortion without excessive government restriction. In most recent times, the supreme court has leaked a document stating that they planned to “strike down” the Roe v. Wade decision.

The article, “Abortion Rights Protests at Supreme Court Justices’ Homes Spark Debate” says, “Within hours of the May 2 report that a majority of the Supreme Court justices were in favor of overturning Roe v. Wade, a protest took place at the court building in downtown Washington.”

Protests have broken out in front of Supreme Court justices homes. After the document was leaked many were enraged at what it said in its contents. The result being protests. However, protests aren’t the only thing that have sparked from the leaked document. All across social media producers have posted and commented on the whole situation.

The article “Teen Students Plan School Walkout in Support of Roe v Wade” said, “An Instagram account started by several TUSD teens listed plans for the walkout. The account had over 1,400 followers as of Tuesday evening. “We’ll be meeting at the [University of Arizona] to protest the draft decision to overturn Roe v. Wade,” said Lily McGrath, TUSD student. “Which will stop protecting abortions. So, I mean states can decide if abortion is illegal or not.”

Like many students the people at Arlington High School have an opinion on the matter. Many students are wondering if this is a country where all are equal, why are women’s rights being taken away?

Grace Lish, a freshman, said, “I feel that abortion should most definitely be legal because you never know what someone is going through and so taking away their rights of getting an abortion would not be acceptable. And if this really is a “free” country then we should be able to have the choice of making our own decisions on what we want to do.

Conspiracy theorists have also fed misinformation over social platforms, like Twitter, Youtube, Tik Tok, and Facebook. This has led to a spike in misinformation.

After being asked the question about her thoughts on the matter, Megan Pohopin, a freshman, said, “The people who are trying to overturn Roe v Wade are very misinformed of the effects of this choice and make terrible assumptions that girls are trying to have abortions in the third trimester or even, and I quote “When the baby is coming out of the birth canal.” This is messed up and violates women’s rights to their own body which opens up the door to the rights of POCs and LGBTQ+ members. Do your research before opening your mouth 

Roe v Wade was a document that protected a women’s rights to have an abortion, and now that’s being overturned by the supreme court, meaning that, once again, women will have no control or choice over their bodies.

A freshman who wishes to remain unnamed said, “People without uteruses shouldn’t weigh in on issues involving uteruses.