Robotic Movement

The Arlington Neobots break ground in Girls’ Competition, look forward to FTC.

Sophomore Elizabeth Burnham and Senior Caroline Vogl carry the robot off the court at the Girls’ Competition on Saturday Oct. 18th.

Senior Breena Sarver drives the robot at the Girls’ Competition on Saturday Oct. 18th.

“What isn’t happening in Robotics?” asks Robotics club adviser Mr. Berg

The eleven girls of AHS Robotics placed fifth overall and their alliance placed third at the Girls Generation Competition on Saturday October 18th.  This competition is the same as any other Robotics Competition, but only girls are allowed to control the robot while the guys cheer from the sidelines. This is part of an effort to increase the number of girls who participate in F.I.R.S.T. (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Robotics. The girls from AHS did exceptionally well (although the engine caught fire and fell apart slightly), placing fifth of twenty-four teams.

In other news, there is a grant in the works from the Arlington Education Foundation for a laser cutter and a MakerBot 3D Printer. The laser cutter can cut anything from plywood and cloth to vinyl and plastic. The Robotics club already has two 3D printers (one of which will go to Haller Middle School), but the MakerBot prints parts of a higher caliber than either of the other two printers.

Those in Robotics don’t want these technologies for exclusively club use; they wish to help others learn to use them. They want to teach other clubs and students how to utilize the technology at their disposal.

AHS Robotics puts on day camps in the summer. They put these camps on for elementary school students to help them learn about robotics and programming. During the day camps, the 3D printers are also shown off, and if there is a better one for use, then it could inspire more people to join Robotics.

The biggest change for AHS Robotics this year is participation in the FTC (F.I.R.S.T. Technical Challenge). Typically, AHS Robotics participates in only the FRC (F.I.R.S.T.  Robotics Competition), but they’ve decided to add the FTC to the yearly agenda. The FTC is much more lenient and relaxed compared to the FRC. The typical FRC takes place in an arena about the size of the basketball court, which calls for a larger robot. The FTC, however, takes place in a 12’ x 12’ arena and calls for an 18” x 18” x 18” machine for competition. The FRC also has very strict building guidelines, in that the building period is no more than six weeks long. In contrast, the FTC can be built up to the competition.

The FRC takes place in March this year, and the FTC happens much sooner, in November. Arlington High School will, in fact, be hosting the FTC this year. Several schools will come and compete with their robot in various games in an attempt to accrue points. If a team scores enough points between this match and others, then they qualify for the District Championships. And although this is Arlington’s first year participating in this competition, the AHS Robotics club has high hopes.

For more information on FIRST Robotics, go to www.firstwa.org

Also, follow the Neobots on Instagram: neobots2903