The Change in Spring Weather

Madison Moore

This photo is of downtown Arlington.

Evapotranspiration: The process by which water is transferred from the land to the atmosphere by evaporation from the soil, other surfaces, and transpiration from plants.

Northern Hemisphere: The Northern Hemisphere is the half of Earth that is north of the Equator.

Spring is known to mark new beginnings, or even referred to as; the lamb and the lion. Just like the saying, there are some days where it’s bright and sunny, and other days where it’s a raging storm. Some may like spring, while others may hate it, but over the past years spring has started to change.

The article, “Climate Change is Bringing Earlier Springs, Which may Trigger Drier Summers” said, “Longer growing seasons mean more soil moisture is lost through evapotranspiration, a study says. Climate change is pushing spring’s start earlier in the calendar year, allowing plants to grow for longer. That may result in drier soil and hotter summers across much of the Northern Hemisphere.”

Throughout the past couple decades the temperature for spring has risen around 3 degrees fahrenheit. That may not seem like a lot, but it has drastically changed each individual   season of the year. With this change we see a lot more rainfall earlier in the year, and some people find that they either love or hate it.

A student who wishes to remain unnamed said, “It’s snowy and cold, and the rain makes me feel sad.”

Some of the students find that they enjoy spring because it’s the time when flowers and leaves start to bloom and grow. However, some are disappointed with the lack of warm weather.

Megan Pohopin, a freshman, said, “Spring is the time when flowers start to bloom and the weather gets warmer aka it stops snowing but that doesn’t seem very true this year.”

It’s not just students that get affected by the constant rain either. After several students answered the survey they all said that their dad’s are specifically more grumpy than ever. 

A student who wishes to remain unnamed said, “he hates the rain and I always find him constantly staring into the heavy rainfall!”

There’s no way to control the weather, but there is evidence that what people do can affect how the year and its weather may turn out. For instance, humans have greatly contributed to climate change. So what does this mean? 

It means that spring will come earlier in the year, and will have more recurring rainfall in the spring. Not only does this affect the environment around us it will also affect the actions and behaviors of humans.

The article, “Does Weather Affect Your Mood?” said, “If you feel down during a downpour, it’s not your imagination: Bad weather can indeed have a negative effect on your emotions. According to one study, nearly 9 percent of people fall into the “rain haters” category. This group feels angrier and less happy on days with more precipitation.”

This might mean a lot more grumpier dads!