The Schedule to Return

Ms.+Shanelle+Shirey+is+a+kindergarten+teacher+at+Presidents+and+alum+of+Arlington+High+School.+She+shared+this+picture+of+her+classroom+waiting+for+students+to+fill+it.+

Shanelle Shirey

Ms. Shanelle Shirey is a kindergarten teacher at Presidents and alum of Arlington High School. She shared this picture of her classroom waiting for students to fill it.

When routines start being affected it can cause more than just frustration and chaos. Online learning has been an adjustment for both staff and families. All Arlington Public Schools started distant learning the first of September. 

On September 12, the School Board members for Arlington Public Schools voted to start kindergarten and first graders in a hybrid model of schooling on October 5. 

However, on September 28, the Arlington Public Schools Board voted to push the start of hybrid learning for these students to October 12. This decision was made for teachers to get more prepared for hybrid learning, as it was a big adjustment for teachers to go from full-time online learning to a hybrid model.

Arlington Public Schools Superintendent, Dr. Chrys Sweeting said, “We want to make sure this Hybrid model is successful for our students.” 

The hybrid model will force students and staff to get their temperatures taken upon arrival every day and to wear facial covering. Families will also attest that their student does not have any symptoms of COVID-19. Students will be on campus for two days of instruction and then three days of distance learning. Due to the COVID-19 regulations, students must alternate between days. Meaning half the students will be on campus Monday and Tuesday, while the other half will be scheduled Wednesday and Thursday. 

For safety reasons, student desks will also be placed at least six feet apart. Kids will eat their lunches in their classrooms and will play at recess with their own class. It will be an adjustment for all. All of these rules are to abide by the health and safety measures set forth in guidance from the Department of Health and Office of Superintendent of Public Schools.  

“As an elementary school principal and parent of two elementary-aged children, I am thrilled that we will have students on site soon,” said Eagle Creek Elementary Principal, Bethany Belisle. 

The safety of students and staff is very important. Students and families have been informed of all this information via email from Gary Sabol, the Director of Communications.