Band’s New Uniforms

The AHS band marches around the track before they play the Start Spangled Banner at the Stilly Cup on September 14th.

Debbie Levesque

Debbie Levesque

Mollie Janousek, Website Editor

The Arlington High School band is a huge part of our school and the environment we create. However, the band has gotten the short end of the stick for many years now. They have had the same uniforms for about 30 years, since the old high school campus was still in use. Because the band’s numbers have gradually been increasing, the sizes and amounts of uniforms they actually have are very off.

The band has been waiting to get these uniforms for so long, however, they are going to have to wait until the Memorial Day to get them, because according to band council president, Cristina Hutchens (12), they take 6 months to ship and that parade would be the first opportunity for them to be broken in.

The biggest reason the band ordered new uniforms was because they “fall apart all the time,” said Hutchens. They even became a little dangerous when one student broke his tooth on the metal end of a string attached to the uniform during the homecoming halftime show last year. Also, Hutchens and the band members think that the old uniforms get way too hot and they’re very complicated to put on. These new uniforms will save the band some struggle for the first time in 30 years.

One complication that came with the order of the uniforms was that the band had to do its own fundraising to be able to get them. The school wouldn’t contribute any money towards the cause, even though it costed about $150,000 and they had to order around 200 uniforms.

As for the appearance of the uniforms, Hutchens says they will be “newer looking, but pretty similar to the old uniforms. They will be a little more minimalist.”

Although Hutchens won’t be able to wear her new uniform for long, this will be the start of a new era for the AHS band.┬áBecause it’s been so long since the band has had something brand new, these new uniforms will transform their spirit and character.

About the Writer
Mollie Janousek, staff reporter & photographer

Mollie Janousek is a junior at Arlington High School. She is a member of National Honor Society and French Club at AHS. Mollie is also a part of the varsity basketball team and loves to exercise and stay active. She is a staff reporter and photographer for the Arlington High School Production Journalism Staff. In the future, Mollie would like to attend a four year university and earn a degree in dental hygiene. She would like to continue to help people throughout her life and to have a positive influence on the world.

1 Comment

One Response to “Band’s New Uniforms”

1. Maureen Bentley on October 11th, 2018 1:21 pm

Journalism requires you to check your facts.

Your source was a student. that student thinks the school did not give any money towards new uniforms.

You never asked G, the band director. He announced last year in a parent Band Booster Meeting that the school had given money last year and this year he announced they gave more money.

You also never asked the Band Boosters who were in charge of raising money where the money came from- they would have told you that the school gave a total of $60,000 towards new uniforms.

They could also tell you where the rest of the funds came from and how the funds were raised.

This was a surface article. Please put more time into getting the facts straight.
    You missed a really great story on how that money was actually raised.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Band’s New Uniforms

Clubs & Orgs

The Fall Play: The Game’s Afoot

• Band’s New Uniforms

Drama Club

“Saturday Night Lies” Starts Thursday

• Band’s New Uniforms

Class Officers

An Inside Look at the New 2018-2019 Class Officers

• Band’s New Uniforms

Clubs & Orgs

The Downs and Ups of Robotics

• Band’s New Uniforms

Clubs & Orgs

AHS Hosts MPMEA for Band and Choir

• Clubs & Orgs

Seussical the Musical Review

• Band’s New Uniforms

Clubs & Orgs

Students vs. Teachers Knowledge Bowl Assembly

• Ecology

Global Warming: What Can You Do?

• Band’s New Uniforms

Clubs & Orgs

Balancing Roles

• Band’s New Uniforms

Academics

Looking for New Electives for Second Semester?