Naviance: What Students Think

Naviance+has+replaced+the+state+required+High+school+and+Beyond+Plan.+There+are+a+series+of+lessons%2C+such+as+these+that+are+designed+to+help+students+make+plans+and+reach+deadlines.+

Naviance has replaced the state required High school and Beyond Plan. There are a series of lessons, such as these that are designed to help students make plans and reach deadlines.

The senior class has seen it all: Advisory, Eagle Period, and now Naviance in english classes.

It started out with advisory, every Thursday before 2nd period, where students did various things on paper, creating their employability profile. And seniors did a presentation in order to graduate.

Then changes were made, to the name alone, and thus, the creation of Eagle Period. Students completed lessons on Naviance and, honestly, sat around wondering, “What was the point?”

Now, we are required to do certain lessons on Naviance each year, with hopes of expanding our understanding of being college and career ready.

The only catch to this, is that students only get out of the program, what they put in.

The idea is that each lesson will help students make a plan for each step towards their future and to find out who they are and what they want from life.

But students aren’t connecting with the program, just as they weren’t connecting with Advisory.

“I believe it’s a terrible program that gets in the way of actual learning,” Orvis Thompson (‘19) said.

“I don’t see the point in it. Maybe if it wasn’t on the computer and if we actually talked about it,” Noah Andrews (‘21) said as the spokesman of an entire table of freshmen.

Aspen Vanderlaan (‘21) said she doesn’t like it because she doesn’t know what she wants to be yet and the tests on Naviance haven’t resulted in anything that interests her.

Students didn’t see the point in Advisory or Eagle Period, nor do they see it in Naviance. So is there a right answer? Is there a right way to guide students down the right path? Is there a way to prepare them for an unclear future?