The student news site of Arlington High School

The AHS Eagle

The AHS Eagle

The AHS Eagle

Emma Janousek

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer/Photographer

Emma Janousek is a senior at Arlington High School.  She is a member of National Honor Society and Link Crew.  Emma also is a part of the cross country team, a track captain, and a basketball captain.  She is a staff writer and photographer for the Arlington Production Journalism staff.  For the future, she plans to attend a four year university and pursue a degree in education.  Emma hopes to be able to teach and coach high school students and athletes in the long term future.

All content by Emma Janousek
Cassie Hageman (16) and others dance at the Swing Into Spring even on May 6th.

[Photo] Accomplishment: Goals

Sami Balcos, Writer/Photographer
May 16, 2016

Cassie Hageman ('16) and others dance at the Swing Into Spring even on May 6th.

Kevin Mullin (17) high fives his peers walking through the commons during the cross country state send off.

Accomplishment: Sports

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
May 16, 2016

Accomplishment in sports can be a tricky variable to define. At times within our competitive society, it seems that only medals and ribbons and championships matter in gauging an athlete’s success. However,...

Students sit at a table in the back of the library enjoying the quiet atmosphere.

The Role of Libraries in Modern Education

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
May 11, 2016

Dating back to the 1700s, libraries have been an essential part of learning in society. They have been huge, physical databases brimming with information for centuries, yet as we progress into the age...

Mary Andrews (18) competes at the Cross Country State tournament while Coach Piccolo cheers her on in November.

Ready to Run: Arlington Prepares for the Annual Chuck Randall Relays

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
March 18, 2016

Mary Andrews ('18) competes at the Cross Country State tournament while Coach Piccolo cheers her on in November.

Students dance at the Senior Dinner Dance, which took place March 10th.

[Photo] Photos of the Week

Hannah Martian, Editor-in-Chief
March 15, 2016

Stephen Caponey (17) battles a Ferndale defender in a tie against the Golden Eagles.

Boys’ Soccer Ties Ferndale in Season Opener

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
March 13, 2016

Kicking off their 2016 season, the Arlington Eagles had a solid showing against the Ferndale Golden Eagles with the contest ending in a 1-1 tie, with each of the teams' goals coming in the first half. Things...

Seniors Cameron Ferriera and Channing Hudson working during second period.

Students Tackle “Diffusion of Responsibility” in the High School Setting

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
March 4, 2016

Diffusion of responsibility, or the bystander effect, is a psychological phenomena that affects us everyday whether we know it or not.  This concept describes the human tendency to bypass someone in obvious...

Senior Robin Hernandez shakes hands with a Lynden opponent after winning her match.

Unsung Heroes: Robin Hernandez

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
February 3, 2016

Robin Hernandez ('16), the unsung hero of the girls' wrestling team, is one of the best wrestlers in the state of Washington in her weight class according to her coach- and she's only been wrestling since...

The Ski Bus to Mt Baker meets each Saturday morning at Stanwood High School. Trips are planned through March 27.

Ski Bus Opens January 9th for AHS Students

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
January 15, 2016

Now that the snowy season is in full swing, discussion about AHS's annual Ski Bus is necessary, as the program begins Saturday the 9th, through the Mount Baker Winter Ride Program. The Ski Bus travels...

Pictured above is the toy drive poster pinned up in the AHS commons.  The Respect Club organized the book and toy drives to spread the giving spirit.

Options at AHS Open for Student Givers

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
December 17, 2015

This holiday season, Arlington High School has presented multiple opportunities for students to give to others.  During this time of year, nearly everyone is focused on planning gifts for loved ones,...

Arlington Hardware joins the community in thanking Veterans for their service.

[Photo] America Honors Military Families

November 20, 2015

Goalkeeper Kat Sanchez (16) waves to the crowd during introductions at the state soccer meet on November 20th.

[Photo] Photos of the Week

November 24, 2015

Goalkeeper Kat Sanchez ('16) waves to the crowd during introductions at the state soccer meet on November 20th.

The flags for different branches of the military wave during the Veterans Day Parade in Arlington on November 11, 2015

[Photo]

The flags for different branches of the military wave during the Veteran's Day Parade in Arlington on November 11, 2015

Multilingual student Edward Radion (17) prepares for a Knowledge Bowl meet on November 16th.

Multilingual Students Share About Their Learning Experience

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
November 20, 2015

Here at Arlington High School, English is the predominant language spoken, yet the student body is comprised of students that have more diverse backgrounds.  There are many bilingual students that roam...

Flags wave at the 2015 Veterans Day Parade in downtown Arlington.

AHS Students and Staff Reflect on “The Arlington Feel”

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
November 13, 2015

In light of this week’s Veterans Day Parade in downtown Arlington, students and staff members took the time to contemplate the atmosphere of the Arlington community, considering the high level of community...

Nate Beamer (16) approaches the one mile mark of the race, leading the front pack of the 3A boys on November 7th.  He went on to finish 2nd in his race, running 15:18, the third fastest time of the entire day, all classifications.

Boys Cross Country Takes Third in State Tournament

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
November 10, 2015

The Arlington boys cross country team finished in third place out of the 3A classification in Washington state last Saturday at the State tournament in Pasco, Washington. The Eagles were behind second...

AHS Leadership Announces Food Drive

AHS Leadership Announces Food Drive

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
October 30, 2015

AHS Leadership has disclosed the details for this year's food drive.  It is to be held next week November 2nd through the 12th.  All of the proceeds will be going to the food bank here in Arlington. Outside...

Senior Pieter Andrews competed in the League Championships Saturday, October 24, in Lakewood.

[Photo] Photos of the Week: 10.19-10.25

October 26, 2015

Marie Gaudin (16) rounds the corner in a sprint to the finish at the League race Saturday. She went on to be League Champion, leading the varsity girls to a first place finish.

Eagles Cross Country Victorious at League Championships

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
October 25, 2015

In Lakewood on October 24th, the Arlington cross country team swept the Wesco 3A North division, winning all four races and bringing home the title of league champions. The JV girls won the 3A North...

Assistant Principal, Eric Heinz, speaks at the seniors Expectations Assembly during the second week of school.  Heinz is the head of senior requirements, and helped make the decision to eliminate the senior presentation this year.

Senior Presentation Removed From Graduation Requirements

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
October 23, 2015

The infamous senior presentation is no longer a requirement for seniors to graduate. Seniors will still be required to complete their employability portfolios--which have been in the works for the past...

Some of the Eagle cross country runners stay dry and warm under their tent at City Beach Park in Oak Harbor on October 8.

Eagle Cross Country: Last League Meet

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
October 19, 2015

On October 8th, Arlington's cross country runners took on Edmonds-Woodway, Glacier Peak, and Oak Harbor in their last league meet of the season at City Beach Park over in Oak Harbor. The Eagles ran...

Zane Blanken (16) listens intently to Coach Murray while he prepares for the race at McCollum Park.

Cross Country Victorious at McCollum Park

Emma Janousek, Staff Writer
October 6, 2015

On September 24th, the Arlington Eagle Cross Country team ran tough and strong at McCollum Park in Everett. They squared up against Snohomish, Shorewood, and Cascade-Everett.  Arlington's ambitious...

Load More Stories