Making It Happen

Tamera Fochesato

Sophomore Chloe Fochesato getting some practice in at Rotary Park in Burlington.

Covid-19 has forced students to get creative with their practices and workouts.  So, how have our high school students adapted.  Senior volleyball player Paige Richards has had to work extra hard at this, knowing her final year is very important. 

Although unconventional Richards has found many ways to keep up with her training.  When asked about the adjustments she has made Richards said, ”get used to living in the unknown.  We don’t always have a sure place to practice or workout so it has forced me to outsource and learn how to do more from home.” 

Richards has a unique approach to battling the boundaries of Covid.  Understanding that although not typical it has given her more time to focus and break boundaries she might not have otherwise.  Reaching out to people has played a big part in this.

Although both play volleyball, Sophomore Chloe Fochesato has a bit of a different approach, realizing she still has two more years of high school after this year.  The biggest difference Fochesato noticed was the traveling outside of our community as well as adapting to Covid restrictions.  

“The amount of players allowed at any type of practice or training is so much smaller than before.  Trying to reduce the amount of contact between people, we’ve been limited to pods of four or six.” says Fochesato.  

She has been able to get into a gym for a few clinics but has had to make a big transition to the beach.  Continuing outdoor practices into the winter months, it has shown how dedicated she is to the sport.

On the other end Ty Rusko playing baseball and the high contact sport of basketball offered a different perspective.  Keeping his hunger for the sport has been difficult without games.  Rusko has had to be very self motivated and work a lot at home.  

From hitting off his tee, lifting weights, and just shooting hoops on his court Rusko has been working to improve his skill set.  Rusko says that,” training now is a lot easier”  he just has to find the time.  

Basketball coach Jeff Bryson also offered his point of view.  Saying that the hardest part has been not having contact with students and players.  Online doesn’t offer as easy of a personal connection to a typical school year. 

However to Coach Bryson’s surprise he has gotten to know students that might not have opened up in a typical classroom.  “Surprisingly there are a lot of positives.  My favorite part has been getting to know the quieter kids I might not have otherwise.”  said Coach Bryson.

Different sports have offered different views however they can all agree that being flexible and reaching out is important in these uncertain times.  Being able to stand up for themselves, pushing their limits, and thinking outside of the box have been key.  We can all take something from these individuals.