Life Got Flipped, Turned Upside Down

Nick+Avdeyev+%289%29+sits+at+lunch+drinking+his+chocolate+milk.++

Josh Hurst

Nick Avdeyev (9) sits at lunch drinking his chocolate milk.

Some narrowly escaped, but others breezed through it.  Eighth grade was only the beginning for the freshman, now they must face the most difficult part of their schooling career… high school.  

“Each class is very unique,” Anthony Dipietro, 12th grader, told me.  

This graduating class may just be one of the most unique classes to ever come through the high school.  The freshman this year are one of the biggest classes to ever come to Arlington. Even though they are such a big class, some of them still are having a tough time in the school.  But having so many students isn’t the only unique thing about them. These kids have their own traits that make them unique. Some joined the football team, some joined pre-calc, and others are living their life to the fullest.  

Nick Avdeyev, 9th grade, pointed out to me that high school is “a lot more difficult [than he expected]”.  This way of thinking has made the freshman not expect the sudden rush of hard work that they have to put into school this year.  Previously, it was all fun and games, but now we are in the end game.

These freshman are also closer to being adults then they have ever been.  For most of them, this is the first time in their life that they will have to get a job, or drive a car, or many other things that upperclassmen do everyday.  

Life has gotten a lot harder for them ever since the end of the first half of school.  Their life has truly been flipped upside down.

But to all the freshman out there, don’t worry.  You have so many other kids in the same position as you at this school alone.  As Isabelle Alexander, 9th grade, told me, “[it’s] calming [because] I don’t need to worry about knowing everyone.”  This was one of the problems that some kids faced back in middle school.