Balancing Roles

The AHS band holds an annual car wash in the high school parking lot to help raise funds for their activities. Jacob Hurst ('20) and Gavin Gray ('18) hold signs to advertise to the community about the event.

Imani, Writer & Photographer

While most classes are wrapping the semester up and transitioning into the next semester, the AHS band is still hard at work. With their Christmas concert checked off of their list, the band moves into music for their next concert.

Even though the concert season has officially started, pep season is not over for the band. The band still makes appearances at girls and boys basketball games.

Between getting music ready for the concert and keeping pep music sharp for the players, the band has a lot to balance on their plate.

In the mix of pep and concert music, band members also marched downtown on November 11th for the Veterans Day Parade to serve their community. The band also marches downtown and plays at the Arlington cemetery on Memorial day in May.  

And as the cherry on top of the chaos dessert, the band is still in need of new uniforms because their 20-year-old uniforms are hanging on by the last thread. Students are continuing to fundraise but the amount of money needed is a tough goal to accomplish.

“We honestly need new uniforms. There’s no getting around it,” says clarinet player Georgia Ringler (‘20).

Maya Muniz (‘19), another clarinetist in the band, says “ I’d be excited if we got new ones. Our old ones are really bad.”

Despite their lack of new uniforms, the band keeps on playing.

The AHS band also hosts the upcoming annual MPMEA Festival in March and the Burns Performing Arts Center. Here, a variety of bands come through and play for judges who then give them feedback.

As the year moves on into May, the jazz bands host Swing Into Spring where the community can come and enjoy dessert and jazz music. As their final appearance in the school year, the band plays at the AHS graduation for the seniors who made it to the very end.

Through all of these events seem very stressful, the band members, under the guidance of John Grabowski and drum majors, keep everything perfectly balanced.

“Sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed but we’re used to it” says Muniz.

The band has their plate full but they do it willingly and still enjoy themselves. Ringler found that once you learn how everything in the band world works, it’s very manageable and loads of fun. “It’s not that hard,” she says. “It just takes a while to get used to it.”